Labradors are very inquisitive creatures. They like to sniff and taste almost everything they come across. The problem is worse in the case of pups. A pup will play with anything that moves. In many cases, pup will bite down and ingest just for the fun of it.
Protecting the dog from poisons and toxins, whether natural or synthetic, is perhaps one of the most important tasks of any dog owner. The main problem is the prevention rather than cure. In the case of a poisoning, help is always at hand. Any vet is trained to handle the symptoms of the issue and in many cases; it is just a matter of helping the dog deal with the symptoms.
Almost every dog owner maintains a safe house in terms of dog safety. There is always a careful arrangement of things that ensure that the dog has no access to any hazardous chemical. Many dog owners are willing to live with minor infestations of insects and rodents just to save their pooch from the toxins and chemicals that exterminators normally deploy. In any such house, it is typical to see locked cupboards and a kitchen that uses high shelves and storage spaces.
However, no owner could prevent the dog from ingesting a poisonous plant. Even in the case when the owner is watching the dog like a hawk, it is difficult to pry open the jaws and remove the plant. The natural instinct of the dog is to swallow whatever is the mouth. This natural reaction means tat the dog will actually fight any efforts to extract the material from their mouth. In any case, the dog is already exposed to toxins once the material enters the mouth. A good portion of poison is absorbed by the tongue and area underneath.
Another important aspect of his issue is the fact that no person in the world could reliably identify a plant from chewed remains. Similarly, it is difficult to instantly identify a possibly toxic plant in the first glance. Given the natural and synthetic mutations and variations, the colors of the bulbs, flowers and fruits vary immensely. This additional problem hinders the rapid identification of the problem. In any case, very few dog owners actually remember the long list of plants that are toxic to their pets.
Many dog owners try to mitigate the problem by making the house “plant-free” zone. This means that there are no decorative plants anywhere. The vegetables are kept in a very secure place where the dog cannot reach. In extreme cases, there is also a ban on vegetable garden because of the problem of uninvited plants n the form of weeds.
A probable way of keeping the dog from chewing plants is to increase fiber in their food. Many people add bran flakes or organic fiber pellets especially made of canine consumption. This could help reduce the habit but could not solve the issue of playing with plants. This demands the owners to be very vigilant at all times.